Monday, March 16, 2009

In search of the Other Side: Green

I've been thinking a lot about the grass greener on the other side idea.

I suppose it's quite easy to be tempted to think that a this instead of that would somehow make all the difference to your level of happiness.

I sometimes find myself guilty of this in my relationship. Not because I don't like this, but sometimes me taking this for granted tempts me to consider what that must be like.

For example,

We were driving back to my place from having run some errands and he had to work so I was thinking he'd prob. just want to go to my place and chill/relax. This thought bummed me out b/c it was a beautiful day. I mean lovely. It's funny, b/c in this state all the hibernating people suddenly turn out in droves on the sidewalks, on their bikes, and in their lawns once a semi-warm day hits. It's great. It was one of those days. And it kinda bummed me out to go back so I mentioned taking a walk. He mentioned he'd be walking around all night at work. But that he wouldn't mind sitting outside somewhere. Discouraged, I dropped the issue thinking we'd head back. In my grass greener mind I thought, man, wouldn't it be nice if I had a guy who would just pull over as soon as I mentioned the idea.

Well. I have officially decided I'm on the green grass b/c that's exactly what he did. We took an unexpected turn and I said, where we goin? and he said, I thought you wanted to go to a park? I said, I thought you didn't want to walk around. He said, I don't but we could walk to a bench and sit down and chat. Wow. Talk about me getting my eyes of that other side (which I suspect really has brown grass). And back onto my own sweet man.

Never mind that the bench he was thinking of was much further down the trail than suspected. And that most of the trail we walked was still covered in snow/slush.

It's in those little tiny things. Perhaps people would have less affairs or less relational problems if instead of turning a blind ear to each other, we listened to each other, and not only listened but acted swiftly on their words. Instead of giving and taking, what if we focused on the giving and left ourselves to feel surprised in the receiving?

I never expected or really asked for anyone to love me. And even when my eyes wander over to that other grass, it usually only takes a moment for me to realize I'm already on it.

In other words: I really like this side of things.

2 comments:

Luke said...

this is nice :)

Tanya K. Kearns, M.A. said...

hmmmm. yes. u share wisdom and insight that i value. thank you.