Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Public Option

Do you know what these buzzwords refer to?

If you don't, let me inform you...

This phrase refers to the consideration of a public option in the health care bill. What does that even mean?

I myself have been digging around to find some answers to this question as I don't completely understand it myself.

Generally the words "public option" have been used by political sides who are both for health care reform. One group, mostly democrats, want to make a "taxpayer-based medical insurance plan" an option for everyone (Greenman). In essence, this plan would compete with private insurance companies for business. Check out this article:

(http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2009/06/19/2009-06-19_whos_afraid_of_a_public_option_health_care_debate_is_stuck_on_a_strawman.html)

Pitting government health care insurance against private insurance companies? What do you think?

According to my own understanding, private insurance has only gotten MORE expensive and tends to continually cover less and less. Perhaps they could use a little competition from the government?

Here's another entertaining reference to the public option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMuZWSvlIMY

I suppose I wouldn't make so much to-do about these things if I didn't know how widespread their effect can be. So I'm choosing to fight in small ways and hope that others are inspired to do the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If they don't freaking pass the health care bill WITH a public option I will freaking throw a FIT!

In real life, I didn't say freaking.