Friday, March 12, 2010

New Music

I haven't bought a lot of music lately. But today I used the Birthday money from my fellow staff (thanks much peeps!) and purchased the newest Toby Mac CD entitled "Tonight"

I went to his concert a couple of months ago and the people I worked with seemed to be surprised by just how many lyrics I knew. Yeah. I was pumped the whole time. His concerts and music are full of energy and passion. AKA Awesome! I think it's ironic how Christian music stations will only play a couple of his songs. I think it's even more entertaining when the people that listen to the Christian radio station come to his concerts and are overwhelmed by his true style.

A few people at work hear songs on the radio and think of me! ha. I think that's really great!

Music is a beautiful thing. It's profound and silly. It's deep and yet can be so fun. It can be sexual or it can be innocent and child-like. There is sultry, smooth, fast, slow, contemplative, hyperactive, bitter, love kind of music. It can be anything and other times can be nothing. We can say so much and so little through music. It's like a glance between lovers, so heavy and yet so simple. So well placed and well meaning that we need no further explanation to feel we can understand and relate to the music.

I used to always need an explanation behind art or music. I always thought that if there wasn't a reason or explanation the piece must be meaningless. Yet, humans have such similar general feelings and thoughts. It seems we are made to at least at surface value understand one another. The words and the art. I bring my own meaning to them. Just like I bring meaning to my own life. Although the artwork may not have been made with my own brushstrokes, the artwork becomes a part of my soul as soon as it means something to me. Then, I am a piece of it and it is a piece of me. There comes the meaning.

This is the impact of all art. All music. And all writing. And maybe even all speech.

No comments: