Thursday, April 9, 2009

Play Time

Afternoons I get to fall into a place
It's a place where I can run and play
And remind myself that I'm not quite
Too old to play like a child.
I hang out with second graders
And together we make jokes about
Pirates "AARRRGHHH"
Her face gets all scrunched up as she copies me and says,
"AARRRGGGHH"
Another boy asks me to count the number of times he does push-ups.
And I twirl a jump rope as child after child jumps through
Singing silly songs.
The youngest one yells,
"Watch me"
And I enjoyably watch her do amazing stunts
At least amazing for a young one.
Today we made a human knot and untied ourselves
Yesterday we played silent ball
And since my arrival this week
We've been lining up and marching outside like soldiers
"hut two three four".
I don't have to get out my teacher voice all the time
Nor do I have to yell.
It's just hanging out for two hours with kids being
Kids.
And sometimes after a long day of having to yell at kids
It's nice just to play and watch them
Play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes jill.

i can hear the fun coming through your words.

good for you getting the after-school job ON TOP of subbing. you're a rock star. those kids needed someone just like you.