Friday, June 5, 2009

The Burning of the Iowa Sun.

I am sitting here with random parts of my body feeling as though I am on fire. I wish I could say it's because of the passionate loving I'm experiencing, ha, but no, it's sunburn.

As my Colorado friend told me, the sun doesn't shine in Iowa. Hence both my other Iowa friend and I got fried because, yesterday, the sun chose to make an appearance.

This sunburn reminds me of another time I got myself a nice burn.

It was a few years ago and I went on this crazy road trip with a group of girls. I mean crazy. Long hours in a car with four girls I didn't know very well and one I did know well. It. Was. Awesome.

Anyways, one day on our trip we decided to visit the beach. I love the beach and sand and all things water. Thinking not much of it, I splashed a little lotion on myself and proceeded to enjoy my day. It was a lovely day.

Upon arriving back to the hotel, the girls and I discover my sunburn. It was flaming red intense. Red. The funniest and saddest part about this sunburn is that I managed to give myself handprints, white handprints in the midst of a sunburnt back. This was the one spot I'd managed to reach by myself with the lotion.

So this morning, as I lather my burnt skin with lotion, I write a tribute to my worst sunburn ever. I'll only say this in addition, it's funny how there are just some things we can't do by ourselves. My refusul to let someone slather my back with lotion the first time required me to allow someone to slather my back with lotion for the next three days. Funny how we sometimes resist help until we get burned. Oh wait, this story is about me ( :

No comments: