Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day Three: Have and Have Nots

Some schools, as my teacher said, are have and other schools are have nots.

Our school is a have not school. The school does not have a lot of money. If any teacher wants to copy something, they carry their paper to the media center, put it in the copy machine, and remove any leftover paper when the job is done.

It makes me realize how spoiled I was at UNI. Apparently universities are have schools. I guess it's a welcome to the real world sort of thing. Buy your own paper and make sure you don't share.

Today was also translation Wed. It was open house and I got to meet some of our students. I also translated for many Spanish speakers out in front of the school while welcoming their children. I translated for the parents of my students. Many of my students are bilingual. They have to be. They grow up in a world caught between home and school. Between English and Spanish. Right or wrong, that's how life goes.

It was fun to actually see some of the kids. I am eager to begin.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Jill, I just found your blog - how fun! Congrats on your adventurous student teaching opportunity ... I'm sure it's exciting and scary both in big ways. You'll be great - I look forward to following how things go. :) Take care!