Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday

Big Sigh.

Friday has arrived.

The weekend. A break. Whew.

I have decided that I am not so ready to be a full-time teacher. haha. It looks a lot easier than it is!

All morning Wed. and Thurs. I directed the class. I went through their math homework with them, taught them how to do a different worksheet, read from their reading books with them and helped them do some work, worked on cursive. and more.

Also, lines. Grade school is about having the best most perfect quiet line of students in the halls. My teacher has had me take the kids to the bathroom by myself. A prime time for students to mess around and generally make noise. It's so painful. I would rather send kids one at a time to the bathroom. Yet teaching in a trailer makes going to the bathroom as a class a necessity. "Sos it goes" - a phrase my teacher always uses.

Well. I am excited to have a little more time to watch the teacher teach, after jumping in, I am eager for some better strategies to lead a classroom. I mean, I haven't ever had to be in a classroom for this long. So it's good to be there EVERY day.

All for now. Happy Labor Day everyone!

1 comment:

Jason said...

Some things just take time. I'm sure that as the semester goes on, you'll gain a comfort level with the kids and will ultimately do great! I talked with Heidi (my sister-in-law) and she said that you are welcome in her classroom any time you would like to visit. She didn't know if you had free days or could opt to visit other rooms/schools. She also said that she would be glad to sit down and talk with you on teacher work days too if you would like to visit her at that time instead. Just let me know and I'll be glad to make the connection for you. She has 2nd graders this year after having 1st graders for 5 years.

Take care and enjoy your long weekend!