Sunday, December 7, 2008

Seeker

She wonders down the road
Knocking on the doors she comes to
She is an endless seeker
Never content with what she finds
Each door brings more
Pain and wrinkles to her eyes
Who will take her in?
The doors she tries
Are either locked,
Or condemned.
She remembers
Once she went down a path
And she was loved.
Yet now she feels there is nowhere to call home
Nowhere safe.
If only she could find that path again.
Maybe she could find her way back
To those who love her.
Instead of seeing criticism and disregard,
She would see love.
She has been called beloved
But that voice gets harder and harder to hear
Those other things she hears about herself,
She may soon begin to believe.
And maybe the voice will be silenced.
Love will be behind one of the many locked doors
She can't get into.
She is running now.
Running past the houses and the doors
The rain begins and her own tears fall.
Soon she is out of breath
She sinks into a heap of sobs.
Love whispers.
It does not pick her up but sinks down with her.
Arms are wrapped around.
She isn't alone.
Love reminds her that though flawed
She is beautiful.
She may be stubborn, hard to live with sometimes,
And messy,
But Love says,
You are beautiful.


Let no one tell you no less. May lovers of all kinds remember to remind each other of their beauty. Despite differences and frustrations.

2 comments:

Tanya K. Kearns, M.A. said...

um... so i feel like you had aj and me in mind when you wrote this. you spoke so much into the truth of our current relationship status. wow. hmmm.

Adventures in Preschool said...

Ironically,

I wrote this because my aunt and I have had some differences this semester and living together has been hard for both of US. BUT as she says, we are family.

I have appreciated her wisdom and this once in a lifetime opportunity for this time. I know if I had moved back in with my parents and if my mom was alive, I just have this feeling that some of the things my aunt has said to me, my mom would have said the same things. For my aunt's friendship and love I am entirely grateful. It's been a challenge, but I find I have learned a lot from her, a lot that I needed to learn.

This poem is a reminder to myself that sometimes in criticism there is love. And that if I only see the criticism, I miss out on the love that person has for me. Wow. I think I just summarized my whole semester in that one statement.