Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Love

I was watching the show called the "Secret Lives of Women" last night. It was very interesting.

It was about a man who was like 40 and was undergoing hormone shots and some major surgeries to change his sex to female. He said that he wanted his outside to match what he felt inside.

Paul and I sometimes joke around about gender and sexuality. I always find it interesting to think about gender, sexuality, and our society.

As I watched, I tried to understand where he soon to be she was coming from and I tried to think about what it would be like to feel like a man on the inside but be a woman on the inside. Would I also feel the need to undergo operations and shots? I don't know. The show was kind of like a mini-documentary about this man's journey. The most engaging parts to me were the reactions of his friends and family as he began the process. Some of them said, "I don't have to understand, but I love Chris and I'm here to support him."

In the final moments of the show, Chris now Christine was returning from overseas and his operations to introduce herself to family and friends as the woman he had become.

I have to admit, I cried. Because as soon as she walked in her mom hugged her and told her how precious she was. And this mom looked like the traditional no funny business type. But when I saw her mother's love overwhelm all other things, I couldn't help but be reminded of the power of love. Here her son had undergone all of these things and changed himself completely, and she welcomed him now her into her arms. I couldn't help but think. See. Love. It's about love. Not about gender or sexuality or who loves who.

Love.

The greatest of these is love.

Will you choose love?

1 comment:

Tanya K. Kearns, M.A. said...

powerful and moving thoughts. thanks for sharing