Monday, September 15, 2008

The Curse of Youth.

Today I started thinking

Because my teacher said when I was present and we were interacting with another student teacher, "well, jill hasn't had a job, so I think this would be good...." (Speaking of attending a seminar on interviewing with principals).

Sigh.

How does one become "adult"?

I have worked the last three and a half years of my life.

hm.

I want to be perceived as a professional. As someone who can go into a classroom and do a good job. Yet because of my status:

"college student" "inexperienced" "young"

I am not considered a professional. Part of me wants to be like "HEY! didn't you start out like this too?!"

I think I am learning how young people are perceived in the professional world. I've been content to be a college student and haven't thought about being employed in the real world or how the real world would perceive me.

Yet this I am learning.

Sigh.

"I just want to grow up!"

Maybe it's OK though.

To have a semester to adjust to certain responsibilities. I will at least know all that is expected of me as a teacher after this. Maybe THEN

I'll be

A "professional" !

1 comment:

Tanya K. Kearns, M.A. said...

interesting perspective. yes. u are right. unfortunately. thats a bummer. i think people dont give us enough credit, and yet i feel like others think we should be ready to be given huge full blown responsibilities. its a fine line i think. maybe.