Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Job.

This week i really came into myself.

I am the teacher.

This is MY class.

Yes, I share it, but these are my students.

I spend time with them everyday.

Something really great:

I've not once done something as in a job, where I didn't mind going. I LIKE this job! I like going to school everyday and leading a class. I like teaching students to be responsible and how to think. It's great. We have a great group of kids!

I am totally pumped to be a teacher for the rest of my life. It's going to be great. I feel this itch already to interview for jobs and talk to principals and explain to them why I AM the best candidate for the job.

I will start out by saying, I learned from the best! So true. First I learned from an amazing teacher at Price Lab School, and now I'm learning so many great management ideas from this teacher I am working with. I see everyday how the kids respect her, and I'm also seeing that with my push to become more assertive, the kids are learning to respect me too. They don't mind me teaching them things and doing lessons.

I am looking forward to taking over the class. I feel so comfortable with these kids after my teacher gave me more and more responsibility in the classroom. She has made it SO easy for both me and the kids to transition into me leading the class. I know I will teach my next classroom using many of her phrases...I can hear it now:

"Once you put your backpack away for the day, you can't go back to it because the "mini-hoonies" come take it away"

"I'm on page 55, I hope you are"

"Neon Flashing Sign" aka this is going to be on a test

"I like how you are getting right to work"

"I'm going to use the magical popsicle sticks to choose someone to answer this question" - pulling sticks with kids' names on them so you are sure to call on each of them.

"Oh, now I have to tell you a Ms. Olson story"

haha. This semester is tough, but it's been my favorite semester of college because I am finally, finally, finally doing what I enjoy doing, working with a great group of kids, and learning from a great teacher.

The only thing I miss in Iowa are the people. Just the people. Not going to class, not at all.

I am going to have a great job.

Teaching.

No comments: