Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The attraction of Sacrificial Love

Last night we went to the movie Seven Pounds with Will Smith.

It was not at all the movie I expected it to be, I mean, I cried at the end, how often does that happen with Will Smith?

The main message of the movie is sacrificial love. It's about one man's sacrifices to let others live a richer, fuller life.

It's interesting how we are either really moved by this sort of love or we are disgusted by it.

I think at times we are moved because we realize that to some extent all love is sacrificial, and that we all need someone to sacrifice SOMETHING for us. Just think about mothers.

Yet at times, when we feel that spurt of independence and wanting to be all individual, we are disgusted that anyone would sacrifice so much for others. We would say, live your own life and forget about the rest.

I recently talked with a friend about balance. Extremes tend to get people in trouble. Even in my relationship I am thinking, how much do I do for Paul? Because saying no or disagreeing does not signify more or less love. Yet at the same time sacrifice DOES seem to signify love. BUT if you lay down everything and always do what they want - that other person will not respect you= balance. It's all about the balance.

In other news: I hope to start getting some calls for subbing.

1 comment: