Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Substitute

Yesterday I hung out with 18 four and five year olds. Talk about little people!

They needed so much help.

The first thing I was supposed to talk about with the kids was the calendar which was still a week off since the small children hadn't been in school. I started out by saying who I was. Then I asked them what day it was.

A small child raised their hand and I picked them and they said, "Sunday!" I said, "no". What day comes after Sunday?

"Sunday!" Sigh. OK Today is Monday if today is Monday what day will tomorrow be?

"Sunday" Sing. Uhm. Nope, it starts with a T

"Thursday!". Ha. No it's Tuesday.

They were cute for about the first 2 hours, Then when the associate and I were gearing up all 18 small children for recess and none of them could zip their coats and seemed to think they had all the time in the world to change into snow pants, coats, hats, boots, and gloves, I decided they weren't really that cute. Ha.

Maybe if there had been less then 18 small children.

Yet it was great.

Great to be in a classroom and getting PAID! Wow! I think the knowledge that I am working gives me a much better attitude than I even had last semester. Of course I will work hard in the classroom each day. Especially if I know I am working for money, to support myself and to support my lifestyle. It's nice to feel that I've earned this. I've earned the right to work in the classroom. I have a piece of paper that represents that right. Seems silly that all they give me after four and a half years is a piece of paper! Yet to the school system, it's exactly what I needed.

Seems Ironic.

As the characters in Stephen King's novel would say, "sounds Hawaiian doesn't it?"

No comments: