Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weight

My thoughts are many this night.

I wish the world could be easier on all our souls.
That instead of hurting each other,
We would simply sacrifice.
Sacrifice our fears and hurts, our tears and wounds
Lay them down.
Instead of swinging them around
Letting them hit whoever happens to be in our way.
I wish I had more answers.
I wish that blame wasn't such an easy thing to throw
In other people's face.
There's a phrase I learned in North Carolina,
It is what it is.
I admire this. It is a phrase of acceptance.
That this is life. And it will be no different.
Yet let ME do the best I can.
No matter what the "it" in that phrase is.
Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.
Never have justified sin or wrong actions.
It's funny how sometimes we think the excuses do.
I wish I had the answers.
I remember being in that place where my burdens
Swung around and gave someone else a black eye.
I remember being stuck. Thinking I'd never be free.
But there was a way out.
Why do you persecute me were the exact words I heard.
And I love you
Came very next.

No comments: